Vat dyes were obtained from plants in the early days. But nowadays they are made artificially.
Vat dyes properties
- Vat dyes have a high color speed.
- Available in a wide range of colors.
- Vat dyes are expensive
- Causes various skin diseases
- In practical life, the use of Vat dyes is limited.
Required Material: – Caustic
Steps to make Vat dyes (Vat dyes dyeing method)
Step1: Dissolving caustic in cold water
Step2: Dissolve the dye in hot water so that it does not form lumps.
Step3: Add the dilute dye to the water-filled bath.
Step4: Then add caustic soda and hydro sulfate after dyeing. (Caustic soda is applied first).
Step5: Mixing into number eight shape (8).
Note: Between 1Ltr and 1 ½Liter of water per 1Kg of Caustic.
How to apply to the bath:(Vat dyes process)
- Fill the bath (to the required size) with water.
- Then add caustic soda to it.
- Take the amount of dye made and apply the dye to the bath with a filter’s help.
- Then the hydro should be applied little by little.
- Should blend into the number eight (8) shape. The foam can identify the color of the dye.
(Take a small container to identify the dye’s color and take the dye from the dye bath and observe what it needs. There you can add caustic, dye, hydro to determine what it needs.) This can also be identified using a cloth.
- The cloth is soaked using a teepol so that the dye can be absorbed.
- Initially, a light green cloth is used for the bath. Then a darker fabric is applied. ( Ex: White cloth first)
- The first step is to use a wax cloth. There is an advantage to doing so. The fabric that is put on later can be removed without shrinkage.
- When applying the cloth, gradually add the fabric to the bath.
- The two people in the dye bath should wash the cloth at the same time.
- Keep the cloth in the bath for about 25-30 minutes. (Time can be used depending on the dye’s size and the size of the fabric).
- The fabric on the bent size should be taken out of the bath.
Vat dyed cloth should be dried in the air. Do not put in any other color. It can put with less colored fabric.
Ex: Where there is a lot of yellow cloth, it can put green. But where there is green, there is no yellow.
How the dyed fabric is woven
The side of the excellent back should be bent upwards. The fabric should be well stretched.
- Vat Green XBN
- Green FFB
- Golden yellow 3RT
- Vat Orange UD
- Navy blue
- Vat red GB
- Lemon yellow GCN
- Brown BR
- Brown 2G
- Vat pink
- Blue RSN (Royal blue)
- Vat red F3B
- Khaki 2G
- Olive green (B)
- Vat apple green
- Black CH
- Brown BG
- Grey 2B
- Vat grey BG
- Vat orange GR
- Vat Yellow 3RT
If you want Vat dye chemical Structure
Safety Precautions for dyeing
Safety must be considered when using these dyes. So be aware of safety before doing these things in practice. Read our note on safety precautions here- Safety for using dye
Vat yellow SRT
Vat green FFB
- A vessel
- Hot water
- Hydro sulfate
- Dye type
- Add the required amount of dye and dissolve in hot water.
- Then put the caustic in the vessel.
- Then putting hydro sulfate. ( Then the color changes.)
- Dissolve until melted
Then fill the tub(bath) with the cold water and apply the dye made with caustic soda to prevent lumps to the tub using a filter.